Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Path

I’m Maxine. I am what others may call an eclectic witch. That means I follow my own path, not that of others or any other established, fixed path. The Path is Mist and Shadow, and that is also how it should be. Every witch, or any human being for that matter, should experience life and magick their own way, not conform to any preconceived tradition.

I discovered that I was a witch about fifteen years ago. I didn’t become a witch then. I have always been one. But I realized beyond doubt who I was that night. I had sought for years, for a way to change my life. It was Midsummer Night’s Eve in 1991, when I attended an unofficial, very unofficial celebration of life in London’s Hyde Park. We shared bodies and minds, and everything possible, the hundred or so of us, and my life, like that of many others present, was irrevocably changed.

Today’s world, the official part of it, is so indifferent, superficial, in all ways that counts. It’s an illusion, a mirage, in most meanings of the words, not in the sense that it doesn’t exist, but in its significance. Once you’ve learned to reject today’s world’s glitter, buzzwords like money and success, a much bigger world reveals itself to you. We opened up that night in Hyde Park, opened up to the world, to the vast Universe, its endless variety and depth.

I watch you sit there, yes, you, sit there in your tiny house, never going outside, hardly ever being aware of other houses, and certainly not those outside your tiny cluster of reality. You deny the Universe, deny yourself. Even when people show you the world beyond your limited understanding, you see merely the gray neighborhood of your house, because you are colorblind, and the slightest glimpse of colors scares you.

I am open. I reject the narrow chinks of your cavern. I am Maxine. I am a witch. I am the world.

1 comment: