Wednesday, October 05, 2011

My thoughts on the novel Dreams Belong to the Night by Amos Keppler

This isn’t really a review, as it isn’t detailed enough for that, but more like a burst of excitement.

It’s a great, engaging story. You can hardly put the book down until you’ve read every single word.

Added to that is this:


It’s a story of extreme awareness, for everyone that has ever taken part in protests and have had their skull bashed in by the police. If you are anything like me, if you have suffered years and years of frustration in an effort to achieve true and powerful change in society this is the book for you.

I feel like a part of the story. It speaks to me. I can relate to the characters and to their situation, and the burning in their gut driving them forward.

To those protesting in the UK, United States, Cairo and every other place these days: you should really read the book, to find a focus for your justified anger and rage. I know I have.

Keppler doesn’t just write about ongoing rebellion, but the history of rebellion as well. This is even more precious since those in charge of the current tyrannical society do their best to eradicate all radical information, all critical thought and belief.

This story isn’t just about rebellion. It is rebellion.

We sat around the bonfire at night, not far from what is usually busy city streets and read from the book. I tell you, it was an event, so powerful and engaging.

I feel, in a strange way that the story truly speaks to me and my situation, and not just because the story is set in Copenhagen and Northern Europe and is about politically aware people there.

It speaks to the core of all humans, striving to break free.

"When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw". Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment